This cake is the perfect treat with just a hint of vanilla. It has an ideal balance of sweetness with fresh fruit. It can be stored, covered, at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 1h
- Total Time: 1h 20m
- Serves: 6 people
- Category: Pastries
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter room temperature for pie plate
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 lb strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1 tsp. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter the inside of a 10-inch pie pan, or deep 9" pie pan.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until pale and fluffy with an electric mixer, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg, milk and vanilla until just combined. Add dry mixture gradually, mixing just until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pie plate. Arrange strawberries, cut side down, on top of batter, closely together in a single layer (feel free to overlap them). Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over berries.
- Bake cake for 10 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake cake until golden brown and a toothpick comes out free of wet batter from the center of the cake, about 50 minutes to 60 minutes. (Gooey strawberries on the tester are of course fine!) Let cool in pan on a rack. Cut into wedges. Optionally serve with lightly whipped cream.