Choose eggplants that have bright green stems and healthy, shiny skin for freshest taste. This dinner can easily be reheated and frozen for even more delicious leftovers anytime you need a quick, filling meal.
- 1h 30m
- 6 servings
- 3 medium eggplants
- 1 egg
- 2 c milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 c italian bread crumbs
- 2 c grapeseed oil
- chopped fresh basil leaves (garnish)
- 1 jar italian tomato sauce
- 1 c shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 pkg mozzarella (sliced)
- ground fresh black pepper to taste
- Peel and slice eggplants into 3/4" sices. Beat egg and mix with milk and salt in a bowl for dipping. In another bowl, pour breadcrumbs.
- Dip each eggplant slice into the egg and milk mixture. Then, dip the slice into the breadcrumbs. Repeat this process for all eggplant slices and discard leftover milk, egg, and bread crumbs.
- Heat approximately 3 tablespoons oil in a cast iron skillet to medium. Once oil is hot, fill pan discs to fry. Flip after golden brown on each side. Set finished and fried eggplant slices on a plate or pan lined with paper towel for cooling.
- With completed fried eggplant, fill 9x13" pan with a bottom layer of tomato sauce, placing the eggplant on top in a single layer. Then, cover with tomato sauce again. Cover with half of parmesan cheese, and half of sliced mozzarella cheese. Place another layer of eggplant on top of the cheese layer, and cover that with tomato sauce. Repeat by covering with parmesan cheese, then the remaining sliced mozarella cheese.
- Cover with fresh ground pepper, and set to bake in a 350°F oven for 30-45 minutes, until bubbly. Garnish with fresh sliced basil to serve with a spatula.